Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Definition of “Bad”

According to Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] the word, "bad" could be described as the following:  

1]of poor quality: below an acceptable standard in quality or performance (ex: bad driving)
2]misbehaving and disobedient: troublesome or annoying, usually through rudeness, disobedience, or mischievousness (ex: bad dog!)
3]very good: extremely good (ex: that’s a bad dress)

Lately, I must admit I've found myself highly entertained by shows like the Bad Girls Club, Basketball Wives, Mob Wives and Real Housewives. These shows are filled with drama! It is episode after episode of pure mayhem. From friends drifting apart, marital issues, to brutal physical altercations amongst adult women, these shows get no days off displaying women as loud, materialistic, short tempered shopaholics. Not that there aren’t already enough stereotypes and negative connotations against women, today’s reality TV has no shame in making being bad look oh’ so good! 

While all the shows are my favorite, The Bad Girls Club tops the charts. The Oxygen Network describes the cast as “young women who are powerfully bold, outrageously funny and endlessly entertaining. This series brings seven new 'bad girls' together in a house where the women recognize that their outrageous behavior has hindered their relationships, careers and lives.”


 “Ready to Tune In?” …. Bad Girls Club, in its 6th season (correct me if I’m wrong) is a hit!!! Exhibiting women, beautiful women with little to no class has grown to be amusing to today’s youth and/or society. How can drama amongst women create successful and growing TV networks? I hate fighting with my friends. Furthermore, I hate fighting period. But, has being “BAD” become good in today’s culture? Should I be confirming to standards? Is it become popular for women to be loud, obnoxious and belligerent to be powerful or to be accepted?

No comments:

Post a Comment