Thursday, June 9, 2011

What Momma Didn't Tell Me ...

Momma didn't tell me that life would be this hard! She said it wasn't easy but I had no idea! Momma didn't tell me, but through her actions; she showed me that it's always more than necessary to take care of myself and always have my own.

My personal story is that I came from a family that was very rich in the beginning. By rich I mean with love and wealth. My dad was an entertainer and my mother was a stay at home mom.  I have one older sister. As we became school age, our parents divorced and my father left my mother with nothing. Not one penny. So we struggled and our family helped us. My mother worked and went back to college. She became a social worker. During the time, she was in a domestic violence relationship and had a very hard time making ends meet.  When I went to high school, my mother made me promise her that I will be successful in any and all that I do.  An inccident occurred in our home and my sister was moved to Californina. I moved out and stayed with my youngest Aunt and took care of her children.  I graduated from Cass Tech and then went to college.  When I went to college, my mother moved a lot and I had no home to come back to. Therefore, I got a job on campus and added a second one later.  I stayed in school. Year round.  I never gave up nor did I ever tell anyone that I was homeless.  I was set to graduate May 2004 when I got into a bad car accident and was disabled for six months. I didn't let that stop meIt slowed me down, but it NEVER stopped me.  I graduated the following year and had a professional job before graduation. I have worked ever since. I have my own. I have made a life for myself with the help of some family and never looked back.  My parents didn't help me financially and in some ways, emotionally, but I never was resentful.  I appreciate the struggles because they made me the strong woman that I am today.  Despite the lack of parental support, I must give thanks to my grandparents who did all they could for me.  It was not easy and I had to feel my way through my emotions and the experiences that caused the feelings that I was dealing with.  That whole process made me into the woman that I am today.  I appreciate my journey!

The moral of my story is, no matter what life throws at you, be strong.  Make sure that you have your own because it's not worth putting your life at risk to ensure that you and your family's basic needs are met.  I have seen a lot and experienced more that I have written but I have no resentment in my heart nor do I have any regrets! Have a vision and reach for it.  Sometimes you have to look inside and find your own strengths.  Motivate yourself and believe in yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%!!!

    No one is successful by mistake. Success is simply a series of intentional events, processes, steps & most importantly, answered prayers.

    We cannot only appreciate & be thankful for where we are, but look back & thank God for what He brought/carried us through!

    Keep up the good work, Project PINK - I look forward to all of the great things to come!

    ReplyDelete